I got there an hour and a half early to leave time to purchase Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo since I never got a chance when it first can out. Sadly, I didn’t have money to purchase all of the books by the featured authors, but I plan to buy them eventually. Also, by the time I got the event area it was legit packed and I had to stand. I’m bad a standing so the wait was literally killing (my feet) me.
During the entire time, I was panicking within. “Was Leigh going to remember me? Are the authors going to recognize who I am??” As I had tweeted them when the tour was first announced with insane enthusiasm. (If you wanna know what that was like, here’s the link.)
Everyone waited for like an hour until they finally announced that the authors would be coming out. Everyone was super excited of course. I saw a whole bunch of bloggers were tweeting live and I was basically just trying to stay standing like this penguin tbh.
Then they came out, and BookTuber Ariel Bissett (you all better watch her videos if you don’t know her) came out as a special guest and host of the event! They did the normal-sorta spiel of getting to know them and stuff. Then they moved onto a Q&A and signing.
Every time Emma would talk about her book, First & Then, the rest of them would say “EZZRAAAAA.” And, I should probably read the book soon to find out what I’m missing.
Some things that happened during the Q&A:
Ariel asked about the process of cover selection and that general topic and how that worked for each of the authors.
– Leila talked about how as an editor/agent herself, normally she’d be the one choose the cover, but ultimately doesn’t that when SHE’s the author. And specifically with Tonight the Streets Are Ours, she said the original cover was pretty similar. But she said she wanted the colours brighter and told her cover team, with her amazing graphic design terminology, to maybe make it more “Instagrammy.”
– Leigh kept talking about how in love she was with the black-tip stained pages (which I am so glad to have gotten) and how she kept reminding her team about them until it was final that they were going to implement it into the design of Six of Crows.
– Emma said for most authors it is pretty much a “check: yes or yes” when they get the final cover. She said she was glad she got to see two options, and that everyone loved the “rainbow raindrops” so much it was pretty much what they went with.
– Josephine got her cover and didn’t quite love it, told her team, but they still went with it. Then they decided to change the covers and she was like “now you listen to me??.” She’s extremely sorry for the mismatching covers.
After that, the topics discussed jumped from writing, depression/anxiety/mental illness, time management, adult-ish content, researching for their novels (THAT was interesting), and then reading slumps. Really, the change of topics was sorta on-par with the Firewitches chat. And we switch topics like THAT.
Other fun facts from the Q&A:
– Emma eats a lot of pizza bagel bites
– Leila can’t seem to get into Pride and Prejudice
– Leigh had a hard time in middle school and mentioned that writing was her escape
– Josephine would always deny she was a writer when she was young, and now it’s inevitable
MY LEGIT FAVOURITE PART:
When Emma mentioned High School Musical. She said “I try to think of it as the Troy Bolton dream; where you can be a Broadway star and a basketball player.” I know, I have such a weakness for HSM.
If you want a more in-depth look at the Q&A, I suggest heading over to Tiff’s (@MostlyYALit) recap over here because I basically only remembered these couple of parts tbh.
So onto the signing!
Somehow I managed to get into the signing line real early even though I wasn’t really supposed to since I was in a different group. (Whoops >.<)
But alas, I took it and Emma was first. We talked briefly on how we have similar names (Em and Emma lol), then joined in with Leila and Josephine. It was so much fun getting to know them! They commented on my Harry Potter shirt and I was like yeahhhh! Leigh is the Slytherin, Emma (I think) was Gryffindor, Leila (I think) a Ravenclaw, and Josephine (I think) was a Gryffindor. Then I was like, well I’m a Ravenclaw, so can I join your group? XD They signed the cool poster I got from Fierce Reads. I also complimented them and said they were hilarious and very pretty. I tweeted them again and well this was the response. I legit love them so much.
Okay then it was Leigh next. I got a super cool copy of my friend’s, Brynne, artwork of the Darkling for Leigh Bardugo to sign for her. It’s super awesome and below if you haven’t encountered her art before (I mean how could you not she was pretty big on Tumblr for a while!).
Yeah, so I got that and Six of Crows signed! Leigh was also giving out buttons and bookmarks, so I snagged a couple! Here’s my swag from that day:
Overall, it was a fantastic event! (The only complaint I had was: couldn’t they have gotten more chairs??) It was amazing and was a great experience for my first (actual) signing! I hope to attend some more in the future! Hopefully more events come this way!
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this recap! Do you have any events that you went to recently? I’d love to hear your experiences! Let me know in the comments below!